What is safety incident tracking software and why is it being talked about so very commonly and regularly these days? Are you keen on getting the right answer to this question? If yes, it would not be a bad idea to spend some time going through this article. The instances of work-related accidents and injuries are going up in spite of the best intentions to prevent such accidents. While most accidents are minor, there are a few that lead to death and fatalities at workplaces. Many accidents also incapacitate a person either partially or fully and when this happens, it certainly is a catastrophe for him/her and the family. It is therefore important to have the best of safety standards and practices in place. However, at the same time, it is also important to find out ways and means by which such instances are events are reported immediately and accurately. This is exactly the function of good safety incident tracking software. It helps EHS professionals to track, record, and then analyze some safety incidents. It allows the organization to track events that were near misses and also others that may have caused minor or major injuries.
It Is Becoming Mandatory
While the installation of such systems was considered a possible option a few years ago, today they are becoming mandatory in many organizations. This is because the concerned state and federal authorities are tightening the screws and making organizations to cough up a hefty penalty for any violation of the standard safety protocols and practices. Hence, there is a growing demand for such safety tracking software systems across the country and also across the world.
How Do They Help
When you have the right safety incident reporting system, the organizations will be able to report accidents and make them available with safety incident forms that are user-friendly and are also customizable. These software and reporting systems are easy to customize and configure to suit specific needs and requirements of the end-users. The good thing about these software systems is that they can record any minor EHS incidents even when there is no internet connection. Once the connection is active, it is possible to upload the incident form to the incident management software for further reporting and analysis.
It Helps To Find Out The Root Cause Analysis
It is always the intention of organizations and companies to have zero-incident situations but this may not be always possible. The incidents in number will come down and the severity will also be less when you have good EHS systems and procedures in place. However, when there is an incident, the same can be captured, recorded and analyzed. The right analysis will help the management to find out the root cause and take the required action to prevent such incidents from happening in the future.
Educate And Update Knowledge Levels Of Workers
Safety standards and practices do not have a full stop and they are a continuous and ongoing process. When you have the best of safety incident tracking software in place, you will be able to educate your workers and also update their knowledge and awareness about safety factors and on a continuous and ongoing basis.
Sometimes it becomes difficult for the professionals working on a service desk to respond to each and every incident or complaint rapidly as the customers are very confident these days. It becomes more difficult to handle such incidents when similar incidents occur repeatedly. In such conditions, incident management software can provide you a system to manage the workflow of the incidents automatically.
Aim of incident management software
The main aim of the incident management software is to minimize the negative effect of an incident on the operations of a business by recovering the normalcy of the things as soon as possible. As a result of using this software, the quality of services of your business will improve.
Benefits of this software
Along with this, the company using this software can enjoy various other important benefits, like:
- Increase in the productivity and efficiency of the entire organization
- Availability of the requirements of the IT services of the company
- Management of important documents of the IT service of the company
- A consistent increase in the quality of services to higher levels
- Increase in the level of satisfaction of the end-users
These incidents can be reported by the end-users in many different ways like through a portal of the self-service platform. On this platform, they will have to fill in the input fields according to the nature of that incident. These incidents are recorded with the help of successful safety incident software and classified on the basis of their impact and urgency. The incidents are then assigned to the right member of staff in that business.
Metrics of incident management software
The order of processing incidents is based on 3 metrics including impact, urgency, and priority. Impact helps in determining the effect of the incident on the business. Urgency helps in knowing the time period for which an incident can be delayed. Priority helps the service desk to know how quickly the problem should be tackled. The incidents that are highly urgent and have a high effect on your business are usually considered at a high priority. Similarly, the incidents with low priority usually have low urgency and low impact.
Usage of an incident management system
Incident management software can be used in the following 5 steps:
- Diagnosis: Initially software diagnoses the problem when the information about an incident is assessed b someone on the service desk. In order to diagnose the problem accurately, it can speak to the related person directly.
- Intensification: When the nature of the incident gets intensified then it can be assigned by the service desk an expert of higher level.
- Investigation: The diagnosis and the linked information will be used by the service desk to resolve the issues as much as possible
- Resolution and recovery: In this step, after resolving the problem and documenting it the services desk will cancel the problem forwarded to the higher expert.
- Closure of the case: When the incident has been resolved by using incident management softwarethe case will be finally closed by the service desk by verifying the activities to be performed as per the checklist. In order to improve the satisfaction level of the end users, a survey can be involved in the ways to handle such incidents.